Tuesday 18 June 2013

In the beginning...

I was going through some old photos and had a chuckle. My photography has evolved so much! Thank God! I look at where I was eight months ago and am amazed at the growth I've seen in myself in such a short time. I know I have a long way to go, but at least I can say, thankfully, that I am heading in the right direction. If I didn't believe it, I would quit right now.
I decided to get serious about photography in September last year. I had a studio set up in our spare room - black backdrop and a few soft boxes, with a white wall as an alternative to the black. I put up an ad online for anyone who might be interested in being my model. I had a good response!
Mary was the first to get in touch. She is pictured below. I can remember how nervous I felt preparing for this shoot. What if she hates my photos? What if it gets weird? What if she feels uncomfortable being shut away in a room and thinks I'm a pervert!!?? (Silly, I know, but it was my first time shooting a complete stranger and a HUGE privacy issue for me to overcome) I did not hesitate to tell her straight out: "I'm kinda packing my dacks right now." To which she laughed and replied, "Me too!"
So we shot away. I didn't know anything about directing, posing or general interaction with the client - nothing. Fortunately for me she was an aspiring model and did a bit of posing on her own. But the silence was so thick it was ridiculous. I just kept shooting. Mumbling and fumbling with equipment. I have about 10 pictures for each slight pose change resulting in 500 photos over three hours!! I laugh now... 500 photos of one person just standing there... Wow. It really didn't occur to me that I was allowed to tell her what to do and that, in fact, it was my obligation as the photographer to tell her how she would look her best in my photos. Didn't think of that.
I also want to make a point that just because someone has the newest fanciest equipment, doesn't automatically make them a better photographer. I am still using the same basic DSLR and lens. I have Photoshopped the images a tad, but even so, you can't change the fact that her elbow dominates in the first image. Her hair is all over her face. Elastic on her wrist? Her expression in the second photo is pretty lifeless and the catchlights cover her pupils. (These were some of my favourite photos!) All things I had control over but didn't change because I didn't know I could. Now I will tell you how I want you to look, right down to your fingers, THEN take the shot. It's good fun.
Well, we all have to start somewhere. I have learnt so much these past eight months and am so grateful to all the beautiful women who have offered their time for me to practise and learn, even through the awkward silences. Can't wait to see where I'll be a year from now.



No comments:

Post a Comment