Monday 21 January 2013

Birthday, engagement, and family visits

Quite a bit of news I have to share today! Last Thursday was my 29th birthday - that's right, this is the last year of my twenties *sad face* but I am also now engaged to my previously mentioned super awesome wonderful boyfriend Luke *happy happy face!* Wedding plans are already afoot and we are hoping to be married by the end of the year. I told him I didn't want to be a 30 year old bride (petty, I know) so we've got less than a year now. If weddings are your thing and you want to follow plans as they unfold, check out our wedding site where I will be posting details as things get organised.

Anyway, onto photography. This entry is also about my family who are visiting for a few days from Sydney and overseas. My cousin was kind enough to sit for a portrait session in our guest room. This was the perfect opportunity for me to practise applying make-up on someone else's face, and giving direction for poses. It wasn't easy trying to direct in French. There are actions and parts of the body that I just don't know how to say. So there was a lot of, "Do what I do, like this. More like this. Oui."
The images are something a little bit different than what I've described in previous posts. Rather than dark, shadowy images in a blacked out studio, I used natural light coming in through the window to get a brighter, more colourful and natural look. I would've used a reflector if I had one handy, but I don't mind the shadows so much. The focus of this shoot was more about applying the make-up and directing the model (albeit in broken French!) to look the way I envisioned, then capturing that with my camera. She did a great job. Didn't get camera shy or anything. It started off as a fun dress up type of thing, then she really got into it!



No comments:

Post a Comment