Saturday 3 August 2013

Why I shoot the Before & After

If you've had a photo session with me you will remember that before I started your hair and makeup, I took a 'Before' shot. I am writing this post to explain why I do it. Lately I've been feeling a little guilty for some reason - like I'm invading privacy - and feel I need to explain why it's done.

I shoot women from all walks of life: uni students, travellers, waitresses, teachers, full-time mums, etc. The B&A is a visual tool for me to illustrate that you don't have to be a six foot tall, size 8 glamazon to look and feel beautiful in photos because let's face it: we're not all blessed with those sorts of looks! But that doesn't mean it's out of reach for us everyday women. The B&A shows that, indeed, it's possible. It's accessible to every woman, regardless of her age, shape, size, race, etc. etc. etc. The gallery is there to encourage women who might not feel pretty enough or skinny enough or whatever enough, that IT DOESN'T MATTER. The experience is for everyone.

If you go to the Before & After gallery on my website you will see the first image is a quote from fellow photographer Jessica Lark. The reason I included this was because I felt it perfectly summed up why I do it and why those images are there. The B&A is by NO means a 'drab to fab' gallery. I am not a magician. I don't want people to think "oh, look at these ordinary women, but look at them after they've been with Jowita!" No. I want people to think "wow, Jowita really knows how to bring out and capture the true beauty in every woman." I love what Jessica says - that we use hair, makeup, good lighting and studio space to amplify your beauty. The 'After' is who you really are on your best day. It's the real you, polished and shining for the world to see.

I've met women who think they are covered in flaws and I just wish I could make them see with my eyes. There is beauty in every one of us. People are too busy loving you for who you are to care about your thighs or your nose or your 'bingo arms'. Your photo session is a celebration of you. Kick those insecurities out the door because you will walk away with portraits of yourself that you and your family will love and treasure forever. Your kids see their mum - the most beautiful woman in the universe! Your husband sees the woman he loves. Your parents see their daughter - their pride and joy. Love yourself today.


A B&A of yours truly! Luke's photography skills have improved! I felt so pretty and witty and bright that he took us out to a fancy restaurant after. (This is the red dress I referred to in a previous post. Finally got to shoot it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment